Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Tips and Tricks | Bias Width: What is the right size

Bias width…. What is the right size and how do I figure it out….. that is the question!



One of the most impressive things about this sewing blog is YOU! That’s right, you. You keep me engaged, focused and inspired to share more. So, last week when I shared an easy trick oncustom piping, Christine asked how to determine the correct bias width based on the size of cording. I thought this was a great question and wanted to share the basic formula.

Actually, this is all about pie…. Nope, not the all American Apple Pie (although that is my personal fav!) It’s all about the math here. We need 3.14 or P.IE
Bias Width: Determine the right size





First we need to figure out the circumference. That is the diameter x 3.14 Or as my daughter told me C=Πd. If your like me and want to avoid math, toss the tape measure around your cording and add a comfortable seam allowance. I like to add 1″ to 1.5″ extra. This will give me enough seam allowance for sewing bias around my cording and is the perfect bite for mypresser foot.

**One quick note- I like to error on the side of extra, especially with thick cording.

I think it is really important that we all understand this blog is all about the art of learning, exploring and sharing our experiences. I love that you ask questions and want you to know that I am here to answer them. Understand that it may take me some time but I am listening and wanting to share more with this ever growing sewing circle! 


credit: thesewingloftblog.com

No comments:

Post a Comment