Thursday, October 6, 2016

Sewing Tips | Yarn Pattern Weights



Hi everyone, My name is Sarah and I blog at Blue Susan Makes where I post about the things I’m sewing and share a tip or two along the way. I’m happy to be here as part of Heather’s celebration of National Sewing Month. I have been sewing a lot with patterns lately, pattern testing and such, and today I wanted to share one of my favorite sewing tools…Pattern Weights.



 

My mom taught me when I was young that pattern weights were way easier to use than pins when cutting out a pattern. Especially when your pattern is made of tissue paper, which rips right through when you pin it. We didn’t have any fancy weights so we would just grab a handful of kitchen knives and lay them all around.



Well instead of using a handful of knives thought it was time I made myself some real pattern weights. So I went to the hardware store and bought the biggest washers I could find. I think they cost me a little over .50 cents each. They are about 2 1/2” wide and I think they are called 3/4” washers.




Though I do love their industrial look, I thought they needed a little pretty so I wrapped them in yarn and turned them into cute mini yarn wreaths. I love yarn wreaths! I even tried to make a tiny argyle one.




They work out great! Of course I’m going to need a few more than five 




Once and a while I find that I need a little more weight so I just stack up two as needed.




Wouldn’t it be fun to package up a little stack of these for a fellow sewing friend?




They are really easy to make and it’s fun to play around with different colors of yarn. Want to make some? I’ll show you how. It’s easy! Start with 3 lengths of yarn about 45” long. Wrapping 3 at a time makes the wrapping go faster. Stick the ends on the back of the washer with a dab of hot glue. Wrap the yarn evenly and squish it together as you go. Finish it off with another dab of hot glue right where you started and trim.


 

credit:thesewingloftblog.com

No comments:

Post a Comment