Thursday, October 6, 2016

DIY Tutorial | Men’s Leather Jacket to fringe tote bag + fringe shoulder bag


 

Hello everyone! This week’s challenge was the most difficult and challenging week for me. I’ve never made a handbag/purse/clutch of any kind before and had no idea what I was going to make. I thought oh, I have almost a week to decide and make it, then the day before our family’s trip, I realized I didn’t have all week to turn it in, I needed to turn it in before I leave on our trip! So I had one day to figure it out and make it and submit this post, but I made it guys, WHEW! And I am very happy with how it turned out!


BEFORE:




I got this big leather jacket from the thrift store. I picked out the longest and the biggest size I could find because I knew the bigger it was, the more I would have to work with. It’s 100% genuine leather and I knew from the beginning that I wanted to make a genuine leather handbag.









I was on a time crunch so I didn’t have the chance to take more pictures during the process and write a tutorial. I knew I wanted my handbag to be very simple, without any metals or hardware so the bags are made of leather and thread, and that’s it! After making my 3-tier fringe leather tote bag, I realized I still had a ton of left over leather from the jacket so I made one for my little girl. And she absolutely loves it! It’s a hit and miss whether my girls will like what I make for them or not, so I was so glad she loved it.
AFTER:
































 

What you’ll need:
 

-A leather jacket(bigger the better so you have more to work with)
-leather thread
-leather sewing needle
-scissors


Estimated time: 1 1/2 hours per purse your first try, 30-45 mins. after your first.

Skill level: A confident beginner to an intermediate

I am so happy to be in this wonderful competition that’s been stretching my creativity and comfort zone. Thank you for your votes that are letting me stay in this competition, it means so much to me. I hope to be competing again for the Week 4: Maxi Skirt or Dress, vintage dresses are by far my favorite clothing item to refashion!
Now, to vote for your favorite project from the competition, please go to The Renegade Seamstress and vote, it literally takes 3 seconds! The project with the least votes will get voted out.





credit:ourlifeisbeautiful.com

No comments:

Post a Comment