Saturday, September 19, 2015

DIY Tutorial | How to make Infinity Scarf

DIY Infinity Scarf
For my birthday last month, my best friend Hillary, made me an awesome infinity scarf. Every time I wear it everyone asks “Where did you buy that? I want one!”
Well sorry folks, it’s not for sale. But… you can make your own! And it’s really easy and I am going to show you how!
Remember yesterday when I showed you how to make that DIY Maxi Skirt? And I said you would need a Walking Foot for your sewing machine? Well that is going to help here too.
This is why a walking foot is so good to use for stretchy and delicate fabrics. On your normal foot plate there are tiny little grippers called “feed dogs”. They pull, or feed, the fabric through the machine while you’re sewing, keeping your fabric even while stitching. Stretchy and delicate fabric needs a little more help to feed through the machine evenly, or else you’ll somehow end up with an extra inch or two at the end and wonder why. The walking foot add an additional set of “feed dogs” on the top to evenly feed the fabric through the machine. I use my walking foot as a total replacement for my normal foot because I like how it feels and how much better my projects come out. In fact I usually only switch my feet out to do zippers, or buttons.
Anyway! Now that you have a walking foot, let’s get this party started.
Dig in your stash and find some fabric. I used Jersey Knit, but you can use anything that drapes well. My friend Hillary made mine out of a printed chiffon that’s just gorgeous. For the easy side of this tutorial, let’s stick with Jersey Knit (because you don’t need to hem it!). For chiffon, follow the same tutorial, but make sure you’re enclosing those edges with either hems, or sewing it together. Adapt this tutorial to your sewing ability.
FabricI used a quarter yard of stretchy Jersey Knit fabric. I picked something light because I am going to be wearing this around my neck, and I’d rather not sweat in the name of fashion.
clean up
Start by cleaning up the edges of your fabric. Since mine is striped I used the stripes as a guide.
trim
Make sure those ends match! Jersey knit is sort of awesome in the way that the edges curl up and hide imperfections, but the ends where were going to be sewing the scarf together, need to match.
pin
Once it’s all cleaned up, line those edges together and pin straight down.
tight seam
Sew as close to the edge as possible, leaving around a 1/4″ seam, making sure to catch both piece of fabric.
tails
Trim off those tails.
trimming seams
Next, trim the edges as close to the seam as possible. We’re going to be doing a sort of modified “French Seam” so that everything is enclosed and no rough edges show.
french seams
Flip the fabric around, so the seam we just made is now on the “inside” of the scarf, and stitch down the edge again, making your margin just slightly bigger so you catch those trimmed edges INSIDE the new seam.
infinity scarf
Take the scarf off the sewing machine, trim off those tails again and give the scarf a good couple stretches, allowing the fabric to stretch and curl. Wrap around your neck twice, and wear it with pride!

No comments:

Post a Comment