Monday, October 17, 2016

Sewing Tips | Power of Stay Tape

Last week was a big travel week for me and I wanted to share a quick tip on something that I packed along. Honestly, when I figured out I was traveling I made up my mind that I would NOTbuy a ton of clothing…. actually, I could not is more of the reality.

So, I dove deep into my stash and pulled out a few finds. One was this tonal gray stripe. I just love the little flecks of silver lurex running through it. It gives it a bling factor without screaming look at me! But what was I going to make? Well, my travel plans were taking me from the cool Colorado weather to the hot sun of Texas. Which in my book means layers or tee shirts. Bonus, they are easy to pack and I live in them on the average day.

Time is always a factor for me so, I knew it had to be a quick sew pattern. Insert the Casual Lady from Go To patterns. Since I had already made the dress version, I knew it would stitch together quickly. With a few quick adjustments to the neckline, I was off to the cutting table! One thing I was super worried about was matching up those shoulder stripes. I thought if I stretched them, it would be a tell tale sign of a home made garment. Insert my secrete weapon and a must have with knits- stay tape. It was game on.


 

Stay Tape

Have you used stay tape before? If not, you should totally put it on your radar. It can be your BFF when sewing with knits. Just cut the tape to size and sew seams together like normal. The stay tape will provide an even layer of stability and prevent stretching when sewing.



I just love the way my shoulder seams came together. I could not have achieved those perfectly matched stripes without the help of stay tape!


credit: thesewingloftblog.com

No comments:

Post a Comment